You may sigh, another person, another banana loaf of lockdown. But if it’s getting people cooking and baking, then I am here for this. My Banana and Chocolate Loaf is a super easy recipe as well. It’s also alright if you don’t have dark choc, either substitute or you could add in sultanas instead.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste vanilla essence is fine too
- 100 g soft butter or baking spread
- 150 g plain flour
- 150 g caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 200 g dark or milk chocolate chips or a chocolate bar bashed up
- Preheat the oven 160C/140C fan. Grease and line a loaf tin with non-stick baking parchment, or use a silicon loaf tin.
- Melt the butter on a low heat in a sauce pan then stir in the sugar. Allow to cool for a bit then beat in the eggs.
- Slice the bananas in half lengthways, keep one half behind. Use a fork to mash the rest of the banana in a mixing bowl, add the vanilla bean paste. Then stir in the butter and sugar mix.
- Fold in the flour, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and arrange the half a banana you kept back along the top. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until well risen, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and golden-brown.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
I’ve shared this recipe with my family already and I’ve had reports of it being baked since.