If I were to plan a holiday to Thailand I would definitely plan it around food and glorious beaches. I’d book myself onto a few cooking courses to learn the different types of food from different regions of the country. Then after along day learning new skills I’d hide on the beach with a cocktail or three. Now if you’re after some good recipes I’d recommend Rick Stein’s South Eastern Odyssey as a starting point. However, today’s recipe I’m sharing is a little less faffy than one of Rick’s (I’m cheating with my curry paste). This Prawn Red Curry with Coconut Rice is easy to make and the perfect mid week meal.
- 100g Basmati rice, rinsed and soaked for 10 minutes prior to cooking
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2cm Fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Red chilli, finely sliced (can deseed)
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 200ml Coconut milk (use the normal stuff, not low fat)
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 150ml Vegetable stock
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 2 Yellow peppers, sliced
- 100g Mushrooms, sliced
- 250g Raw, peeled king prawns
- Put the rice in a pan, then add more water to 1cm above the level of the rice. Bring to a boil, stir once, then cover tightly, turn the heat right down and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the onion and pepper, cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Then add the ginger, garlic and chilli and soften for a couple of minutes. Add the red curry paste and cook for a few minutes, then add two thirds of the coconut milk along with the fish sauce and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the prawns and mushrooms, then cook for 5 minutes more.
- Check the rice is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed, then stir through the remaining coconut milk until well combined. Leave with the lid on until you’re ready to serve.
Leave a Reply